Thursday, November 23, 2017

Mind the J's and W's - Part 8

An hour later she got up and stretched.  The hotel they were booked in was just a short car ride away from the base.  The driver made good time since no one else was on the road.  She had checked in earlier and showered.  With any luck, this time when she went into her room, she wouldn’t be alone.  She tapped her foot as she waited for the elevator and once in punched the button about three times hoping it would make the damn thing faster; knowing that it wouldn’t.  It had been way too long since they had seen each other, alone.  The closer she got to her room the warmer she felt.  She could almost smell the flowers he must have put out for her. And when she opened her door she could hear the soft jazz he had playing in the background.  Closing the door there was only dimmed light coming from the bedside lamp and she stripped as she quickly moved to the bed where he lay silently.  She fell into his arms as their minds tangled together sharing every bit of each other.
Hours later she woke acutely aware of the soft bed, the comfortable temperature, and the strong warm body beside her.  She was wrapped in his arms and from what she could tell he had been awake for at least the last thirty minutes, watching her.
“Hi,” she said sleepily.
“Hi,” and he stroked her hair, “I’ve missed you.”
“I could tell,” and she wrapped her hand around his middle. 
“Do you make it a habit to jump into bed half naked with strange men?”  They had shared almost everything between their two minds.  The missions and their details were off limits and of course if there was anything they didn’t want the other to know, but there really wasn’t anything in that category that they hadn’t shared.
“Sometimes,” and she smiled lazily, “but only completely naked with you.”  Jan wanted to avoid the next conversation but knew that there was no way she could.
“I know you know, but I think it’s time I tell you,” Jan looked up at him half knowingly and half confused.
“What’s up?”
“I want you to know that, well,” and this time he touched her chin to make sure she was looking into his eyes and his mind, “I love you and I want to marry you.”
“I love you too,” and her smile was tinged with a bit of sadness, “but you know we can’t get married.  They would never allow it.”
“We could try, I want more than promises now,” he pulled her on top of him so she could look down into his eyes and know that he was serious.
“There’ll never be anyone else for me but you,” and he kissed her, “you know that Ward, but we can’t just walk in there and say we are getting married no matter what.”
“You haven’t given me an answer,” and he raised his eyebrows and looked at her, while his hands played up and down her spine.
“I think you know my answer,” and their minds touched again.  He let his lips play along her shoulder.
“I may know it,” and he stopped on one particular spot letting his lips whisper against her skin, “but I want to hear it.”
“Let me think about it at least until after your next assignment is done,” she wanted to say yes; she wanted to forget everything else but this room, this man.  Try as she might, she just couldn’t do it.
“Alright future Mrs. Lowe,” he was disappointed but not defeated, “You have one more month until I get back to Phoenix and then I want a real answer like, yes,” he kissed her again, “and when can we tie the knot?”  He stopped and looked up at her.
“I love you, and I’m so…” and he stopped her.
“Don’t say anything more, I know all the arguments, but I also know that I’m not taking no for an answer this time,” he smiled into her eyes, “We will find a way.  I will be meeting with Bobby and then I am all yours.”
“I think you’re pretty much all mine right now,” and she giggled.
“Now and forever Babs.”


Want more?  Jan and Ward continue to work together.

Read more from Annay Dawson:

Shadows of the Past
Hidden Promises
Treason’s Reward
Gone In An Instant

Author’s Website: www.annaydawson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment